Sunday, February 15, 2009

A quick post about Midservice at Black Coral

Pictures from our WorldTeach Mid-service meeting at Black Coral...BEAUTIFUL!
Here are some of the WorldTeach volunteers: (left to right) Nic, Erin, me, Beth, Michaela, Matt


Here's a picture of the beautiful channel between islands

A few weekends ago we had our midservice meeting at a small island called Black Coral. We had an amazing time on a beautiful (but small) island. The island's diameter was only about 100 meters, but the surrounding ocean was alive with color, fish and beautiful coral. I only have one story to tell from midservice. If I were to be dramatic (which is sometime fun), I'd title this story, "how I almost died" or "one stroke away from being swallowed into the ocean." However, in actuality I just got really tired while battling an incredibly strong ocean current. Michaela and I went out snorkeling and were enjoying the ocean floor when we decided to head back in (we were pretty far out). We started swimming back and although I could tell that we were swimming against the current it really wasn't all that bad...until we reached the freaking channel. I had never been stuck in a strong ocean current before, so the initial challenge was to stay calm. However, it's challenging to stay calm when you're swimming as hard as you can in one direction, and the view through your snorkel mask is the coral passing opposite to your goal point. It got to the point where I couldn't even look down at the coral beneath me because it was way too discouraging. I was getting increasingly tired and I was making absolutely no ground. Luckily, I had Michaela (MC). She's a trained life guard and excellent swimmer. She started giving me verbal commands with where to swim and how to swim. Eventually we made it to sore. I was exhausted and scared, but eventually I was able to shake it off...after a drink, that is!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Black Coral! I have had so many adventures out there!! Some, perhaps, should never be remembered (hehehe). Is it me, or is the channel getting wider? Just a friendly tip about what to do when you go too far out while snorkelling there: stick to the edges of the channel and feel your way back (watch out for fire corals!) In fact, the younger kids are taught to swim out of the channel and walk back to shore. I envy you: your photos look beautiful.

Regina said...

looks like you guys had an amazing mid-service. too bad we didn't get to all meet up in pohnpei

Unknown said...

what is midservice?

Anonymous said...

The multi-dimensional machine got tired?? Whoa... must have been bad news. Glad you are safe.