Saturday, July 19, 2008

Weŕe finally here!

Kasehlelia! (hmm...not positive on the spelling yet, but it means hi...and goodbye (like Aloha)!

Itś hard to believe that I am finally living on the little speck on the globe that I have been showing so many people the last few months. There´s nothing like stepping into 90 degree weather at 100% humidity to break the denial of being so far from home. I´ve now been living here for three days and already know my way around the ¨town.¨ Itś quite small but it has everything I need. My host family has also been extremely gracious. They feed us well (Sashumi!!) and the kids are a lot of fun. They have actually been my Pohnpeian teachers! The land is breathtaking. It really is a tropical paradise. There´s fresh fruit growing from trees, an ocean view within walking distance and, really, no real conception of time (I am still trying to get used to this!).

As far as life with the other volunteers, we are a quirky bunch. Itś going to be interesting how each of us adjust. :)

I also had a chance to meet my future boss at the College of Micronesia, Pohnpei campus. She seems very nice and comforting. I just hope that I can remember English grammar rules...itś been a while!

Well, that is all for now. Stay tuned for more...

1 comment:

reedam said...

Congratulations on making it to micronesia okay. I would be super excited to be there. I hope you have a fun trip and learn a lot.