Friday, September 12, 2008

Sokehs Rock


making our way up

kids at the top

            the view
   
making our way down

Sokehs Rock 8/26/08: We had heard stories about Sokehs Rock, but none prepared us for the intense rock climb we conquered two Sundays ago.  For the first few miles we walked on a paved road around a small island to get to the trail head.  Once there, we started our trek up hill.  We climbed rocks made into stairs, used trees to stabilize ourselves, and took breaks as needed due to the steep incline.  It was a challenge to even reach the base of the rock!  Once we arrived at the base, Michaela said, "Okay, now begins the technical part of the climb.  Do you see that pipe?  That will become your lifeline."  I looked up at what we were about to climb, noticed the rusted pipe and started to shake.  However, my ego wouldn't let me back down, so I continued upward.  As we ascended, we reached for tree roots and held our body tight against the vertical earth.  We carefully tested each rock and branch to make sure it would hold.  We gave guidance to one another when one of us got stuck.  There were times when I imagined myself dying (okay, a little exaggeration...hehe), and times when the adrenaline pumping through my body made me want to yell out in excitement!  Once we reached the top we were greeted by Pohnpeian kids (yeah, they put us to shame on the climb) and fresh pineapples ready to pick!  We spent some time enjoying the view, taking pictures and listening to the kids sing hip hop songs from the states.  Basically, we were avoiding the reality that at some point we had to go back down!  After almost an hour of relaxing one of us had to get back so, just as carefully, we made our way back down the rock.  I found going down much easier.  Whenever I couldn't find solid footing I would use the pipe as a firefighter pole to slowly inch my way down.  When we reached the pavement, we talked about how each of us (at least at one point) thought that we were going to die.  However, immediately following that conversation we made plans for the next encounter with Sokehs Rock!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blast! I love that the kids put you to shame!

Unknown said...

Umm Meghan I'm scared do I have to go up there when I come? I mean we can just surf amongst the coral right?!! Okay Okay twist my arm I at least have to make it to the start of the rock with the rusty pipe!! Keep up the great work and livin the culture that is the most importan, you can always eventually some day maybe Marry This guy?!!

GrumpyOne said...

I climbed Sokehs back in 1969 way before there was a "pipe." We did have a guide and came up the back way and it was much easier going up than going back down.

I was leading a photographic expedition of Micronesia and because I was also the cinematographer, I was first up for most of the climb.

Another interesting climb is Chickensh*t Mountain in the interior...

Anonymous said...

hello,my name is kayleen i'm from the villiage where you all came from.sokehs,i am very surprise that you comment on how you experience on that rock.believe me when i first try climbing on that rock expecially the pipe, i was affraid that i might fall.climbing up is easy but getting down was the hardest part of my life but i get passed by it.my father onced told me that he was one the guys who put up the pipe all the way to the top.they say that there was this one american guy who came to pohnpei long ago and visit the rock.he said that he was the man who wanted some mans from the villiage to help him put the pipes all the way up to the top.without this american guy we all would've had hard time climbing down.so i thank this american guy that he made such an easy way for visitors to view our island.